Remember the old science fiction movies; where they had a machine or a computer that knows the answer to everything? or the Oracle in the Matrix? imagine something that can answer all your questions… but why imagine? its already there
Well, not 100% there, its still under heavy development, but the results so far are AMAZING!
As of now, Wolfram|Alpha contains 10+ trillion of pieces of data, 50,000+ types of algorithms and models, and linguistic capabilities for 1000+ domains.
Check its capabilities:
- Calculate interest on certain amount over time:
5 Years 8% interest of 20000 in a car loan
- Know how a Tredecillion number can be represented:
- Know the time needed to travel from Cairo to Kualalampur and distance:
Cairo to Kualalampur
- Know the phase of the moon, duration of daylight, how many weeks a certain date was:
May 20, 1985
- Compare internet users in Egypt and France:
internet users in egypt, internet users in france
- Distribution plot of internet users in Europe:
internet users in europe
- What is a certain percent in other forms and graphs:
- Plot a mathematical function, get integral or derivative:
- Know the chemicals of your addictive drink:
- Know what is the eigth planet and how many moons it has:
- Know how was the weather in egypt during the past 10 years:
Weather in egypt
- When did Ramses the 2nd die:
- Compare languages and get their classifications:
- Holidays based on your GeoIP (geographic location based on your IP address) location:
- How many people die at a certain age in a certain country:
Life expectancy in newzealand
This is just a very small sample of what WolfRamAlpha can do please bare in mind that the site was only launched for the public this month so i expect a fierce competition for google during the next couple of years….unless off course they managed to acquire it (or maybe microsoft or yahoo? who knows)
In case you haven’t noticed, wolfram is not a search engine, its a knowledge engine, which means its not like google crawls the web and search for certain data, WolfRam crawls its own knowledge base (which is obtained through different many sources not only from the web) also, unlike google, wolfram searches only for facts.
I understand that it currently might not be able to answer all the questions, but the quality they currently provide for a start makes it looks very promising in the near future.
They also state that they are implementing an API system for the knowledge engine, which will allow the use of it on different platforms Imagine yourself in the supermarket, you take a photo of an item or type its name and you get all the reviews about it and even know where to find it at more competetive prices
Can you imagine the power of something that can answer all your questions? Too much power, eh?